DevCon Java Hackathon 2014 – Cagayan de Oro
June 7, 2014 @ 4:00 PM - June 8, 2014 @ 8:30 AM
in partnership with
DevCon Java Hackathon 2014 – Cagayan de Oro
7 June 2014 – 8 June 2014
Test yourself and go against other teams in the 1st Cagayan de Oro Java Hackathon
DevCon Java Hackaton 2014 – Cagayan de Oro is an overnight event that aims to challenge teams of student and professionals developers and designers to build applications using Java to solve real-world problems. It targets to cater 20 teams of 3 students and professionals.
Note: Registration will be closed on June 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM
|5:00 PM||Welcome Remarks and Intro to DevCon, Sponsor Keynotes|
|6:00 PM||Dinner Break / Socialization|
|7:00 PM||Coding Starts|
|5:00 AM||Coding Ends / Demo (No slideshows)|
|7:30 AM||Judging and Awarding|
|8:30 AM||Breakfast / Homeward Bound|
· Only registered teams will be only to compete.
· There will be 2 categories: Students and Professionals.
· Registration is now FREE
· Participants must register as a team or individual and each group can be composed of 3 members maximum.
· There will only be at most 20 registered teams per category.
· Students will be asked to present a valid school ID upon registration.
· Deadline for pre-registration is June 7, 2014, 5:00 PM
Languages & Tools
· Applications will be assembled using Java only.
· Participants may use any mix of application frameworks, and development tools.
· Participants are expected to bring the necessary tools to build their competition entry.
· Internet access via WiFi will be provided.
· In this event, participants will be given ten hours (7:00 PM and must complete by 5:00 AM) to develop an application on the theme to be given that day.
· If the application is not finished by the allotted time, the team should be able to explain how they would implement the technology for the unfinished parts, and how they intend to implement it technologically.
· Incomplete parts or projects may be represented by wire-frames or other plan documents.
No Offsite Development
· All development must be performed on-site between the aforementioned start and end times for the event.
· We don’t allow teams to re-purpose an existing app, add a feature, then flog their badly disguised demo as a hack.
· No Powerpoint! Nothing kills hackathon spirit quicker than watching teams present a functional hack. “There are those who sell and those who create. Make something.”
· The web apps will be evaluated according to Quality of Software Development, User Interface, User Experience, Innovation, Ambition and Quality of Pitch.
· Teams will have a maximum of (3) minutes to demonstrate their running application to the judging panel and (2) minutes is allotted for the judges’ questions about each app.
· Deliberation will commence after the presentations, and those who emerge victorious will be handsomely rewarded starting at 11:00 PM.
All eligible entries will be evaluated and ranked by a panel of qualified judges based on but not limited to the following criteria:
Quality of Software Development: 50%
· Is the Application free of errors?
· Does the Application run on different browsers?
· Does the app work completely from start to finish?
· What are the technologies used? How well was the app executed?
User Interface / User Experience 20%
· Does the UI of the app look professional, or is it sloppy?
· Is the app easy to use?
· Does the workflow of the app make sense, is it intuitive?
Innovation / Ambition 20%
· Was the idea unique, or a different take on an existing/similar app?
· What was added to the app that made it special or more useful?
· Was the idea behind the app ambitious? Creative?
· How well did the app execute upon the theme/category chosen?
Quality of Pitch / App Impact 10%
· Was the team able to explain their idea and what the app actually did?
· Each judge will assign an app a score between 1 and 10 inclusively for each of the four criteria, with 1 being unexceptional and 10 being exceptional.
The judges’ decisions are final and binding.
• 1st – 3rd prize will get (trophy) + any swags/items provided by sponsors
• Every team will get a certificate for participating.
DevCon CDeO Hackathon FAQ’s
What will be provided by the organizers during the event?
Extension cords, Food/Drinks, Tables/Chair, Internet access
Can I just be a spectator?
Unfortunately, spectators won’t be allowed. Why be a spectator when it’s more fun to participate?
Who can participate?
How long is the demo?
3 minute to demonstrate your app – 2 minutes Q&A from the judges
Will there be some guidance during the hackathon?
We will be bringing in some experienced developers to help you develop your apps
How will I demo?
Just show the judges how your app works (no PowerPoint)
What should I bring
Laptop, Charger, Toiletries, Healthy body, Lucid mind
1. Be updated for further event announcements:
Follow us on Twitter: @DevConPH
Like the DevCon Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/DevConPH
Join the DevCon Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/devconph